My mother-in-law, Lynne, makes some fantastic treats for when my partner and I visit their family home in Colac. My all-time favourite are her famous Rumballs, and although they don’t contain rum (child friendly), they are the perfect treat to go with a cup of tea – and super easy to make.
Makes/serves: about 20 rumballs
Variation: Add 1 tbsp. rum
1 cup coconut plus extra for rolling
1 tin light condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla essence
1 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 packet marie biscuits, processed or crushed to a rough crumb
1. Crush biscuits into a rough crumb using a food processor or rolling pin.
2. In a large bowl combine biscuits, coconut, condensed milk, cocoa powder and vanilla, mixing with a spoon. For best results, get in there with wet hands!
3. Place extra coconut (about 1/2 – 1 cup coconut, as needed) in a smaller bowl for rolling the rumballs in.
4. Using wet hands, roll about 1 tablespoon of mixture into a ball and place in coconut to roll. Shake off any excess coconut and place in a container. Repeat until you’ve used all the mixture.
5. Set aside rumballs in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.